Holiday Helpers For Your Home
Whether leaving the Canadian winter to spend the holidays under the sun or simply driving a few hours to get together with family, these simple measures can help you keep your home safe while you're away:
- Friends or trusted neighbours should check on your home - An occasional car in the driveway and a mailbox that is not overflowing may signal to a potential burglar that someone is home.
- We know how much we all love social media, but sharing holiday plans on the internet might lead to an empty house getting unwanted attention.
- The thermostat should be set at 60°F/15.5°C and there should be enough oil in the storage tank to ensure that your house stays heated during cold winter days.
- Open the bathroom vanity and kitchen cabinet doors to allow more heat to get to the plumbing.
- When it’s time to put on snow tires, it also signals the time to turn off outdoor taps!