The holiday season is upon us, and although it’s time to drink some eggnog and dance the night away, we always need to be safe and responsible first and foremost. The Durham Regional Police Services have announced that they are starting their “Festive R.I.D.E.” campaign and will be looking to keep impaired drivers off the road, which is great to hear.
Did you know that if you are hosting a holiday party at your home or an alternate venue for friends or employees, you can be held liable for them leaving your party intoxicated and injuring themselves or a third party? The last thing anyone wants is the holiday season to be marred by actions that could have been avoided.
Please use these simple tips to make sure your holiday season is festive and happy:
- Ask all your guests as they arrive how they plan to get home that evening.
- Contact one of the many Designated Driver services in advance, and let them know that you will be hosting a party and want to use their services.
- Have a list of phone numbers available for taxi services and DD services
- Provide place in your home for guests to stay if needed.
- Pay attention to your guests, to see who has been drinking and how much.
- Be at the door as your guests are leaving, and if you are not sure, offer to get them a cab or DD Service.
Unfortunately you cannot control the will of other people, but you can take the proper steps to keep everyone safe. Your guests will notice this, and respect you for taking the time to think of their safety.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!